Thursday, January 21, 2016

Weekend Life: Happy New Year

Happy New Year, Fiestaware vase, Fiestaware bud vase, Fiestaware Shamrock bud vase, Fiestaware Pearl grey bud vase, vintage kitchen

Hi Friends! I'm happy to be back in the blog world again, now that the long Christmas holiday season is over and the New Year is in full swing. I've been taking it easy for a couple weeks now, and I'm finally feeling rested up and recovered from all the extra activity of the holidays. However, I already miss those enjoyable quiet moments snuggled up on the couch watching movies with my family - an activity we really only take part in at Christmas time.

Happy New Year, Fiestaware bud vase, Fiestaware Shamrock bud vase, Fiestaware Pearl Grey bud vase, vintage salt and pepper shakers, fresh flowers

There's nothing quite like a three day weekend! This past week included the Monday holiday Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. It is a day set aside here in the United States to honor the work of Dr. King, a civil rights activist in the 1950s and 60s.

Three days off work instead of the usual two, allowed me the chance to finally clear up all the household bits and pieces that got neglected during the holidays, as well as donate unwanted items and clothing, and sell an old desk. My art studio is part of what used to be our garage (here in the US, most houses have a space to store an automobile, which we call a "garage") and it too needed some organizational attention. Once that was done, I was able to work on some art pieces I've been excited about, in preparation for an upcoming spring show. I also dove into a long neglected pocket-style photo album project - here's a look at one of the spreads I finished in that album, featuring a few of my Instagram photos from the spring of last year:

Simple Stories, Studio Calico, Jilly Bean Soup, Webster's Pages, pocket scrapbook, 6" x 8" pocket scrapbook

I also took some time to finish reading The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan. My daughter Audrey, who is an avid reader and lover of fiction, gifted this book to me for Christmas. Coincidentally, I found the Studio Calico 'Book Review' journaling card (shown bottom left) in my stash when I was working on my pocket album. Once I finish writing out my thoughts about the book, the journaling card will be a nice addition to my pocket album, paired with this photo:

Amy Tan, The Bonesetter's Daughter, lily, lilies, Studio Calico journaling card, Fiestaware mug, Fiestaware White mug, read a book, journal about a book, black coffee, coffee

This month marks the second year for the Under The Plum Blossom Tree blog. I have enjoyed sharing my various interests here, and am grateful to those of you that have taken the time to read about them. I have some plans in the works for the coming year: I'd like to give the blog a new, more polished look, so I am looking at blog formatting options right now; also, I will be selling a Plum Blossom exclusive product, handmade by me. So I hope you will stayed tuned!

You can follow me by email here on the blog (see the widget for that in the right sidebar), and Blogger will send you a notification.  

As always, thanks for reading!
  
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Hi June! I'm glad you are back! If you are thinking about a redesign you might also want to change blog platform. I think Wordpress is really easy to use, but I hear good things about Squarespace too.

    ReplyDelete

© Under The Plum Blossom Tree | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig